Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sunset Run #2

I just signed up for another Sunset Run hosted by the Fleet Feet in San Francisco! The Sunset Run is a 5 mile social/non-competitive fun run benefiting local charities. This time, 100% of the proceeds will go to Students Run Oakland! What a great organization! I think I need to look into volunteering at SRO. Here's SRO's mission statement (that I got from their website):

Students Run Oakland (SRO) is a unique youth development program. Our mission is to improve the overall health of young people through structured physical fitness training, mentoring, and nutrition education. SRO uses the challenge of training for a marathon (26.2 miles) to help students develop long-term goals, improve their health, and overcome obstacles. SRO builds confidence, resiliency skills, and reinforces the values of commitment and hard work. Students can then draw on these values for achievement in academics and other areas throughout their lives.

Basically, the run starts in the Marina Green and go to Hopper's Hands at the base of the Golden Gate and back. The fee to run is $10 and you get a nice tech Nike shirt, too. The last Sunset Run benefited the LiveStrong Foundation (by Lance Armstrong). It was fun last time so I'm looking forward to it again. AND, this time, Fleet Feet is giving away TWO Nike Women's Marathon entries!!

I know I said I gave on that dream but... it doesn't hurt to see if I can get in, right? And on top of that, it's for a great charity!!

It's tomorrow night at 6:30pm, if anyone is interested!

10 comments:

  1. Too bad i am on the other side of the country - that run sounds like so much fun!! I wish we had runs out here like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh those runs sound so fun. i just dont know how long it would take me to get all the way over there after work... hmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. J! You should look on active.com and see if there's anything relatively close? There's gotta be benefit runs near where you live! I hope...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aron, I know! The drive into the city from the East Bay is killer. I hate the Bay Bridge sometimes. I have a long drive, too, from the South Bay but at least i don't have the bridge to deal with. Not much better on 101 but at least it's kinda on my way home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. exactly! stupid bridge! and if it wasnt on the other side of the city it might be more doable... we will see :) i really want to go to one of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang! That sounds fun! I wish we had some of those types of runs around here.

    Good luck on the giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checked out your blog and wanted to say good luck on your mission to cut out sugar! It's a great idea and I can tell you it has worked wonders for my wife. I have also cut back (not totally out, but waaaay back, with one major transgression this past weekend: son's birthday, so you know...) and have reaped the benefits. I feel more energetic than ever and have lost weight, win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh.. good luck!! Have fun at the run - a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what! its only ten bucks? crazy. Im in Seattle, so it doesnt matter, but Ive never heard of such a cheap race. good luck!

    Kelly Turner
    www.groundedfitness.com

    ReplyDelete