Monday, September 15, 2008

My New Commitment ("Not Calling It a Diet" Diet)

As I wrote in my earlier post today, I plan to cut out sugar from my diet. As well, as refined white flour. *sigh* It's my plan to lose the excess 5 lbs and hopefully another 5 from there. It was really inspiring to read the Pieces of Me (POM) blog... who lost 40 lbs running! And she looks fabulous! I've always had a losing battle with my weight and well, it's time to do something about it. AGAIN! I've been on various diets ranging from Weight Watchers to using the counting calories methods to low carb diets. When I'm not training for a race, I usually stick to a low carb diet (something like a South Beach) but when I'm training, I do tend up up the carbohydrate intake. I'm going to try something in between this time. Limiting the excess carb and sugar intake (which I've been overdosing on lately) and still do my regular running. I do know how my body reacts when I tend to limit my carbs during training so I'll have to pay close attention. And when I'm watching what I eat, I do tend to eat more vegetables where I do get my much needed carbs and fiber. Of course, on days when I do my 20 miles runs, I may allow myself a burrito... just not the whole thing. ;-)

I know the formula to lose weight. I've done it before. It's just so difficult to maintain and keep up the lifestyle change. I really need to commit to this. I was really motivated to lose the weight for the wedding but now... not so motivated! Of course, for my health and happiness, losing 10 lbs is a great reason.

9 comments:

  1. I think on the 20 mile days, you can eat the whole burrito, my friend!

    I've been on a quest to get into the low 130s and stay there, and although it's taken a while to get there (mainly because after long runs, I eat pretty much anything I want -- literally!), I'm there and it feels great! (Secretly, because I'm a freaky numbers girl, I want to weigh 131.1 -- cuz then it's like the half marathon number ... ok maybe that's a little too strange.)

    Anyway, I think your plan is a good one, and I know from experience that consistent running consistently works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to focu more on nutrition too. I feel like a broken record. I eat pretty healthy meals it is just the sweets that do me in. By the way the picture of the icing cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I just need to eat better so I don't end up gaining mad weight with this baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sigh* I've gotta get my butt moving on this as well. Just eating healthier all together. It's hard for a junk foodaholic like me. I'm not getting any younger and the pounds don't like to come off like they used to LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A while back I was reading some running book, can’t remember the title, but there was a chapter on dieting and the author made a great comment saying something like… The best dieting book would be a sentence long, Burn more calories then you put in.

    That’s about as elementary as you can get and yet it’s still so hard to do it. Nutrition and finding the “right” foods to eat is so hard but at least we take it seriously. There are so many people out there that will run or walk a couple miles or spend 30-45 min in the gym then go home and eat whatever they want. Good luck to ya, I think many of us are in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I know what you're saying about the motivation. We'll try to cheer you on from the sidelines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ran the Rochester Half Marathon. Not sure if you are familiar with that area but its very scenic and the marathon is very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I eat a whole burrito after a 5 miler! Hmm...maybe that explains the extra 10 lbs hanging around. It really is hard to lose weight AND to keep it off. Just remember that it takes time!

    ReplyDelete