Monday, September 29, 2008

The Hype on Trail Running

So I got my first taste in trail running this weekend... and I have to admit the jury's still out on this one for me. Sure, there are the obvious benefits of using various muscles in your lower body due to wide range of motions, the variety in scenery and the softer ground which is better for your joints. But I'm just not crazy about walking up the hills, change in elevation (ear popping) and getting really dirty. Oh and I wasn't really all that crazy about the rocks and shrubs that kept getting in the way. And the biggest thing for me is the slower running pace. The picture to the left in this post is me walking up a steep hill on Angel Island. Maybe I'm just not used to the changing elevations (and I was taking it easy on the Achilles tendon) but I ran my 9 miler significantly slower than usual. I didn't like that very much. Maybe it's my competitive spirit but I want to run faster and beat my personal records. Do I have something to prove? Maybe. Am I just obsessed about my PRs? I hate to admit it but that could be true, too. I'm just not ready to give up the road races, not quite yet. I know some of you are avid trail runners. Do you do both trail and road races? What made you give up road races (if you have, that is) and run for the hills (so to speak)? And here's the most nagging question: If you do trail runs on your long runs while you're training for a marathon (or half), does it affect your race time (benefits or detrimental)?

I just read an article on benefits of trail running and well, it makes me want to go at it again. It was fun, after all. But not sure if I'm going to give up road running, anytime soon...

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good experience. I agree with you, I run trails every now and then but it's always been for training, not sure I'd want to do an actual trail race.

    But now that you have done one, it's time to go at it again and break that time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same mixed feelings as you! We can share notes as I get more races under my belt-- personally, I can see the appeal of moving slower/walk breaks if I were doing 50 miles, or 100 (ha!), but for 10 or fewer (or 13.1)? I'd rather be moving faster (well, as fast as I personally can, which isn't that speedy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I've never been trail running but honestly I think it might be a better thang for me. Dirt, rocks, shrubs? Sounds good to me LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think for me, it's a fun change of scenery. I don't think I'll ever switch over. But I like it for some fun weekend adventures and working out my butt! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really like trail running either. I've done it once and I felt like there was too much to worry about as far as tripping and falling - and the slower pace too.
    Nice job trying it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am pretty much a clutz so i would probably fall all the time in a trail run :) haha. great job for giving it a shot though! who knows you may get hooked :) i am with you on the PRs and going faster, but i guess you set different kinds of PRs when you are on trails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to try this! There is such limited area around my house to actually do this, but it looks fun. I agree on the dirtyness part though, not really the best, but I guess if you already are taking a shower.. go big right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did alot of trail running this summer. At first I had the same hestitation as you, but after a while, I learned to love it. Some of the trail races are really fun and challenging, and more endurance based. I still like working on my road race times too. I guess I like the best of both worlds. Thanks for the article, I read it, and it certainly brings up some valid points.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe you should take advantage of having the opportunity to run in different types of terrain. Over here were I live we do not have any hills or mountains, and the streets are not that safe, so our running routes are very limited. Take advantage of those hills and cool views, run them not as often but maybe once every month or something like that. Smell the flowers while you can.

    Web.me.com/amaurydeleon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you need a different mindset when running trails. I find that when running trails you need to be aware of everything, but at the same time you just have to enjoy it and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great you are trying some trail running..

    I actually do both, road and trail race.. Variety makes things interesting. But you will build leg strength out on the trails. It has made me a better road runner. Plus less pounding on the legs.

    So give a try again, find some people to do it with. It is more fun that way..

    ReplyDelete