Thursday, October 2, 2008

TIaRT: Creating My Own Destiny

In contribution to this week's TIaRT's theme: Life Lessons Learned from Running, I wanted to dig deep. Back in my freshman year in high school, I wanted to run. I thought cross country was so cool. Besides, the junior varsity team had some hot looking guys!! On top of that, I was never good at sports that involved hand-eye coordination. I stank at every group sport... from softball to volleyball to basketball, you name it. But, running, that was something I thought I could do. Cross country was perfect!

I told my parents that I wanted to run cross-country. I thought they would be excited for me. But, I got this response from my dad, "You're not built for running. You shouldn't do it". Not sure if he thought I had two left feet or if he was concerned for me but I think I burst into tears at that point. He tried to explain to me that I just wasn't meant to run long distances. That my body wasn't built that way. Maybe I should try tennis, instead?

I was so hurt. I wanted him to support me and believe that I could do it. Or at least, pretend to! Even if he didn't really think so. I ran anyway. I wanted to prove him so wrong. And I did. That Freshman year, I joined the cross country team and ran for the next two years. I think I was the slowest girl the first year. But slowly, I improved. I started passing people up. And it felt so great! I loved running. I loved the power it gave me.

Several years back, I told my parents that I was going to train for a marathon. My dad said this time, "Do you think just anyone runs a marathon?" I wasn't surprised by his response. He's not as heartless as he sounds. To his eyes, his little girl just wasn't the running type. Well, since then, I've run 4 marathons. The very first one, I finished just a bit over 4:13. Running wasn't always consistent since high school. But it was gave me self confidence when I was out on the road, pounding the pavement. Sure, I don't look like a runner, even now. But, when I cross that finish line (whether it be a 5k or 26.2 miles), I know I did my best. That I started. That I am as good as I think I am. It gives me confidence that no one can take away from me. I know I can do anything I put my mind to. This is what I learned from running: That I create my own destiny and expand my potential in life... I created this running life, for myself and no one can take that away.

I went for another 5 miler after work on Tuesday with D. You're right, I felt so much better! It only felt like I was wearing 5 lb ankle weights this time. Not 10! Ha! I rested yesterday and will again today. I'm sorta kinda tapering for the Rock n Roll San Jose Half Marathon on Sunday. I'll go for a short run on Friday... then RACE time again! I'm very excited about the half marathon! Bunch of my friends are running it, as well as Aron and Audrey!!

24 comments:

  1. Thats an awesome story! You can do anything if you put your mind to it! You should be proud of yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job doing your thing with the running despite lack of parental encouragement! The truth is, just anyone DOESN'T run a marathon. You have to be pretty brave, special, and stubborn even to do the training. So your dad was right about the marathon in one way. I also love the idea that we create our destiny-- we cannot control what we were born with, but we can indeed expand our potential. Very inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Oy, my husband used that line on me a couple months back when I was whining about injury "Maybe you just aren't built for long distance running". It DOES light a fire under your butt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that story - I am glad you kept with running! I guess a lot of people don't look like runners but that doesn't mean they don't run. We come in all shapes and sizes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its so great to hear people's success stories with running. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post!!! what a great story :)

    YAHHHHH for Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ROCK, Julianne! When I was running my marathon on Sunday, I saw quite a few people who were "not built for running" or who had weird strides or whatever. It made me respect them all the more for what they were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you wrote, "That I create my own destiny and expand my potential in life... I created this running life, for myself and no one can take that away." It is perfectly said.

    Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your story - mine is sort of similar. Except I never exercised - ever! - until I was in my mid-20s and I couldn't fit in my clothes anymore :P

    I never thought I could run a 5K let alone a marathon. But you just have to believe in yourself and anything is possible!

    BTW - what is it about parents that they can be such party poopers sometimes???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep up the great work!! We're capable of anything we put our minds to and you've definitely proven that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I first started running distance in jr. high it was the same thing for me, but just not coming from my parents. I was too short, my legs weren't long enough, I should be a sprinter...blah, blah, blah.

    I enjoyed running, and I really liked the mental aspect of the race.

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww - I would do the same and do it to prove that I could. :) Are you doing the 1/2 in 2 days on the widget? If you are, I think its the same people that run the rock and roll philly 1/2 that I just did a couple weeks ago. I love the medals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story, thanks for sharing! You know, I'm not so sure that someone is built or not built. Its a passion to want to run. Physical differences aside, that's what it is all about! Good luck on your HM this weekend. I can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an inspirational story! Thanks for sharing that. I hope you taper well and have fun in your half-marathon this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great story, so inspirational. thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't...like a red rag to a bull!

    Great story and give the trail running another go; it's worth it trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the story, and you've done an awesome job, you certainly are a runner. My dad never told me not to run, but he always got nervous when I told him the times I was after. I ran my first half in 2:06 and told him I wanted to break 2, he just said don't push yourself too hard, you ran a great race... it just wasn't good enough for me.

    Guess we can't all have fathers like Tiger Woods, but we love them just the same. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you followed your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i can relate to your story. you knew what you wanted to do and you went for it depite the lackluster response. and 4 marathons?? very inspiring, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm excited for you running the Rock 'n' Roll Half in San Jose! I'm running the Sacramento Cowtown Half this weekend. I've already told the hubby that I want to run the Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half in March for my Birthday.

    Good for you for running in spite of not having "positive" reinforcement from your dad. I think my dad made it to 1 of my track meets in high school and my mom didn't make it to any of them. But they are much more supportive now (15 years later) that I'm raising $ for Breast Cancer research.

    Your blog is very inspirational and I look forward to reading on a consistant basis! Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for stoping by great post.. good luck on your up coming 1/2 marathon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Enjoy the Rock and Roll half marathon. I ran one in Phoenix a few years back. It's like a 13 mile long block party.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your story :) Way to keep at it, and I'm amazed at your finishes.. I'm still looking to do a full marathon! :) You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing!

    It's crazy to think of how much our bodies are capable of.

    ReplyDelete