Thursday, October 23, 2008

TIART: The Weight Battle

Here's my contribution to TIaRT theme over at Runner's Lounge today, which is Running & Weight:


I don't know anyone who doesn't struggle with their weight. With our society focusing so much on healthy eating and exercising, most of us do conscientiously think about our caloric intake and what we burn. I wish I was one of those people who are naturally thin and don't have to worry about their weight. But I think about it everyday and have be careful what I put in my mouth. If I don’t, like I have been the past 2 months, I’ll balloon up and gain 10 lbs in a heartbeat. Since I got married 2 months ago, I have been not paying attention to my portions or the quality of food that I put into my body. And, I didn’t run for 4 weeks after the wedding due to post wedding stress, honeymoon, laziness, etc. As some of you know, I ran a marathon 5 days before my wedding and took off some time to reward myself. (By being sedentary!) And sure enough, I am up 10 lbs. Yikes! I know many of you also struggle with "weight" and tackle this on a daily basis. And sounds like, some of you have been really successful in losing a lot of weight!


For several years after college, I carried around excess of 50 lbs in fat. Thank goodness, I lost the weight about 7 years ago. Thanks for running and Weight Watchers! I've kept most of it off but I’ve gained about 10 of it back recently and now about 20 lbs overweight. (That's a lot!) I can feel the extra weight bouncing and jiggling with me when I’m running. I got my BMI measured a few months ago and I’m in the unhealthy range again. Hello, I run! I exercise! But it doesn’t show on the scale! I’m a little tired of my yo-yo dieting. Besides, the joys of the weight loss and the disappointment that comes with the gain is really emotionally devastating.


The funny thing is, I know the formula to losing weight. (It’s no secret, right?)


Eat less (or eat right) + Exercise More + Commitment = Weight Loss


It's so much easier to indulge than limit myself, and easier to give in than deny. This week’s TIaRT made me think about how I can share my weight loss/struggle/journey with fellow running community. Then, I realized, I don't really have any weight loss tips or secrets. I could tell you the Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet and The Daily Plate has worked for me. But it might not be for you. We all need to follow a modified and personalized formula that I listed above. I know I will continue to struggle with the weight battle, probably forever. But I will do what I can do not lose the war.

This is something I will do starting today.


- Make a commitment

- Make a lifestyle change


I’m going to LIMIT my sugar and refined white flour intake. I don't think I can cut it out completely but I'll limit it. I’m going to pay attention to my portions. And most importantly, I’m going to make a lifestyle change and stick to it. (And hopefully my husband won't be making his famous oatmeal cookies or brownies for midnight snacks!) And I can’t wait to tell you when I finally reached my healthy weight range and BMI one day! Very soon!


On the running front, I took a day off yesterday. I've been in Portland for the past two days for work and have had no time to myself. (Looks like I'll be back in the beautiful Portland area and hopefully I'll have more time to meet up with fellow bloggers here!) I fly back today and look forward to a nice 6 miler in the afternoon. Also, so happy to hear the Arien O'Connell got her winner's prize and recognition! Heck, it took Nike 2 days but at least they did the right thing!

25 comments:

  1. I like your plan and you have a great attitude. You look teriffic and I have no doubt you will win the battle. Have a safe trip home and a great 6 miler today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that Nike gave Arien the recognition she deserves!

    Losing weight and keeping it off is hard. keep working at it - the blogging world is always here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- you lost 50lbs? That's remarkable! Congratulations on losing it and keeping most of it off! I'm sure you'll be posting about getting into your goal range in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you've lost a lot of weight too, way to go! weight watchers and south beach are both so, so good. i am currently limiting my white flour and sugar as well, it does seem to work. i think i will cry tears of joy when my BMI is in the healthy range! because i don't think it has been since i was maybe twelve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on keeping the majority of you weight loss off. That is awesome. I think you mention a key point, that "We all need to follow a modified and personalized formula that I listed above."

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Thanks for sharing your experience. You know what to do, so do it. :) (I know, easier said than done, and I am in the SAME BOAT!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I have to do is look at yummy food and I can feel my body gain about 5 lbs. It really is unfair!

    But you've done it once before (amazing job on the 50 lbs weight loss!!) so you can do it again.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely understand and struggle with the same battle every day. It really comes down to making some lifestyle changes and like you said, commitment. You look great!! You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julianne! I really like your attitude about accepting that it is really hard to cut out white flour and sugar, but that we should try to limit it nonetheless. Good luck with your goals; you have a great attitude. And you're a runner, so you're already several steps in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dittos on the great attitude and sane plan. Keep up the great work, J!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are just like me. You know what you need to do but at times struggle with the commitment part. I'm at the current phase where I have been not really thinking about what I eat and have just extended my long run a few miles every other weekend or added another speed day to the week to make up for it. Not the best plan I know. Just seems to work at times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish i could go back to my high school habits of eating whatever i wanted and not having an ounce of fat. I'm not by any means fat now, but i'm selfconscious. Even though i know i shouldnt be, i am. So i've been trying to work on what enters my yapper too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think limiting is generally a better long term strategy than eliminating. I try the 90/10 rule

    ReplyDelete
  14. So awesome that you lost so much weight and kept it off!

    I actually do better on "diets" where I cut out one thing at a time. Like now, I'm cutting out processed sugars. Once I know I can live without something for a few weeks then I don't crave it and over do it when I can have it again. I often go on ice cream strikes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you lost 50 pounds? You are a ROCKSTAR!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just by looking at pics of you I would have NEVER guessed you ever had issues with weight. Wow chica!! 50lbs of weight loss is NOT easy. CONGRATS!! You've done fabulous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's amazing that you kept off the 50 lb weight loss for 7 years! I've always been inspired by your marathoning, now I have something new to be impressed by. I know you can do whatever you set your mind to! That is definitely the hard part, though-- not the "how" to lose weight but actually deciding it's WORTH not indulging, esp. after pushing your body physically in other ways. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That 50lb weight loss is impressive. I am sure you will be back where you want to be quickly.

    Hope you get something of a chance to relax in Portland. Its gorgeous up there. I met and married my wife in the pacific Northwest, so I am a little biased :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad she got recognition! :) You and I are in the same boat about weight.. Ughhhh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know the keys to success! Good luck girlie. I will be excited to see your journey and for the day when you write "I reached my goal!"

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're on the right track! I don't understand how marathon runners even have to worry about portion control. It sucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Losing that much is quite a feat. The great news is you know what you have to do to get back on track, you've done it before and it's much easier the 2nd time around. Plus I'm sure this time you got a lot of heavy muscle, so don't forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've done great! I find that exercise doesn't cut it- I'm sure I'd gain a lot if I stopped exercising, but the only way to really lose is to limit what you eat. I wish it weren't so!

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I was working out 5-6 days a week, and nursing, I was doing really well. :) But now that I'm busy with a myriad of projects and I get to the gym perhaps twice a week, the scale is going up for me too.

    I've seen you at various stages of your life, and I'm proud to say you're always bettering yourself. Keep at it, my friend. I'm right there with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just discovered your blog and can sympathize with your plight. Congratulations on your previous success, and I think you are on the right track with limiting starches and sugars. We've been low carb dieting and running, with reasonable success for 11 months now. I think people expect too much from their exercise though, because in my experience, the more I run, the less weight I lose. I'm talking lots of miles here, 40-60 per week. You'd think the weight would fall off, but it's still slow. It's just not as many calories as it seems, and you're better off limiting the amount you eat. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete