Saturday, October 4, 2008

Nice Surprises!

There's been some nice surprises for me in the past couple of days. I got an email yesterday morning from Active.com:

This message is generated as confirmation of your recent registration on Active.com. You have been successfully registered for the following:

Registration: 2008 Nike Women's VIP Marathon and Half Marathon

Purchase Date: 10/03/08
Category: VIP Marathon Registration

Name: Julianne

Congratulations!
You are now registered for The Nike Women's Half Marathon and Marathon, a race to benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Race Start:
7:00am
Union Square, San Francisco, CA


Holy cow!!! I really really had given up all dreams of running the Nike Women's Marathon in 2 weeks. Yes, you heard me right. 2 weeks until the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. I had been trying to get into this race for several months but it's been sold out for a long time now. My friend who works for Jamba Juice corporate told me that they had a waiting list for their corporate spots and would add me on... just in case anyone dropped out. I had no news from my friend... UNTIL Thursday afternoon. There was a spot for the marathon and she asked me if I still wanted to run it. I said, OF COURSE I DO. SIGN ME UP! That's when I got the email. And it also says I'm registered for the VIP Marathon? Not sure what that means but I'll find out soon enough, I guess. (This registration was also free thanks to Jamba Juice!) I am so excited. I've run the Nike Half before and I really wanted to run the full. There is a slight problem, though. I have not been training for a marathon in the past month or so! After I gave up my dreams, I've been training for my Rock n Roll Half Marathon in San Jose tomorrow!! Yes, tomorrow. (As Duane is making our potluck dish for our cousin's son's birthday party, I am typing away in the kitchen. He is such a great husband!) And then we have to hit the sack to get up early for tomorrow's race! Anyway, back to the Nike Marathon. I am so not ready and I don't want to injure myself so I plan to take it easy. Run at a good pace but not overly pushing myself and WALK if I need to. Especially those lovely San Francisco hills.

Also, I also received an email from Tom and Amy from the Runner's Lounge! I was selected to receive an autographed copy of "The Runner’s Guide to the Meaning of Life" for contributing to this week's Take It and Run Thursday (TIaRT) : Life Lessons Learned from Running! Wow. Talk about nice surprises! I've read many of the TIaRTs from this week, which left me touched and inspired... And I am truly honored to be selected!

Today, D and I drove down to San Jose to pick up our race packets for tomorrow's race. And ran into a few unexpected friends who are also running the race. I also had an opportunity to meet up with Audrey finally!! It was kinda neat. Our virtual friendship finally connected in real life! So, of course, we had to take some pictures. Good thing I had my battery in my camera, unlike someone who shall remain nameless: A u d r e y

Audrey & me

Audrey & me at the expo sign

I also picked up this awesome license plate from Women's Running Magazine (formerly Her sports) by subscribing to their bi-monthly magazine. $20 subscription for a year and a half and the license plate was something I couldn't pass up. Aren't these cute? If you see a 1997 green Ford Mustang with this license plate, it's me!


I am really excited about the race tomorrow!! Ok, I really need to hit the hay now!!

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting into the marathon. You're going to have so much fun...have heard a lot of great things about it.

    You and Audrey look so cute together. Have a blast in your race. Looking forward to the race report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome getting into the NIKE Women's Marathon! You are going to have lots fun.

    The pictures of you and Audrey are so cute! Can't wait to read your report.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!!!!

    Looking forward to your race report today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting into the race and winning the book from runners lounge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is alot of nice surprises! I think Tom and Amy made a great selection for the TIaRT award, I also found your post inspiring. Good luck today and I can't wait to read about your marthon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fantastic! I hope that today went well and as far as the nike -- just enjoy it -maybe you'll surprise yourself!! that's great about the book prize too!! yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!! CONGRATS! That's freekin awesome!

    And how lucky are you to meet the one and only Audrey! You guys are the cutest! ;D

    Good luck today! ;D ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. you guys look so cute!!
    that's really exciting about the nike marathon- i don't know what vip participant means either bit it can't be a bad thing--extra swag maybe? :D
    well, i hope that your race today went well and look forward to reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That *IS* a cute photo of us! (If I do say so myself ... haha!) And yes, I am such a dork with my battery-less camera, and that's not even the first time I've done that.

    I'm so excited that you're in for Nike! I hope you did well this morning... it was a fun race!

    ReplyDelete
  10. woooooo!!! cant wait to cheer you on!!

    so fun seeing you again today. sounds like i will see you again in 2 weeks! awesome job today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what wonderful surprises! and yay nike marathon and tiffany necklace! maybe that will be me someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats so awesome you get to run that marathon! I've heard its sweet! I really enjoy your friend Audrey's shirt. GO BLUE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS. i love your license plate! i have one on my car too... I cant remember exactly what it says, but its girly and has to do with running! haha

    ReplyDelete